Wednesday, June 6, 2012

An experiment... gone wrong?

I think my titles are getting cooler... what do you think?

We had Parmesan Tilapia last night

Parmesan Tilapia with Deli Coleslaw and Corn on the Cob
I said it was and experiment and it was... we ate fish. Anyone who knows me knows that I HATE fish! I don't like the smell, the taste, or the texture and Erik dislikes it almost as much as I do. Having said that fish is good for you for a variety of reasons and I have no desire for my children to be picky about food because I never put anything new on the table (they are picky enough on their own). My second misgiving about this experiment is that every TV show I have ever watched on cooking has said that cheese is a strange pairing with fish and rarely works taste wise. My third misgiving was that according to everything I know about cooking when you bread a piece of meat you need some sort of liquid to make the breading adhere, egg, butter, mayonnaise, etc... and the recipe I had didn't have any of those things. My last misgiving was broiling the fish... I have only lived with my oven and broiler for 6 months and for half that time I was eating fast food and using my oven to bake Elijah's waffles. I would say that a third of things that I make in the oven burn or at least overcook... so when you are talking about broiling a delicate fish I had trepidations....

I WAS RIGHT!!!! Well almost :/

In terms of the fishy taste, it wasn't there I couldn't find it so I was able to eat the fish without gagging... yay? The parmesan tasted okay with the fish but I think that's because Parmesan is a buttery tasting cheese, not overpowering, and Tilapia is a very mild fish. I was right about the liquid required my breading wouldn't stay adhered to the fish so it just burned onto the ban... and that brings me to the last item on my list.... I did indeed overcook/burn the three pieces of Tilapia in the middle of the pan, so Erik and I ate the ones on the outside edges which weren't as bad. The fish was fine, as Erik would say, for fish... we both liked the coleslaw and the corn the best of the meal... sigh, maybe we are hopelessly stuck in our ruts? NAH!  Making something new tonight! See ya tomorrow!

PS I didn't put a website cause I couldn't find one for the exact recipe for the fish... however ones that I did find (just put Parmesan Tilapia into Google) look like they would come out better than the one I used last night anyway...

2 comments:

  1. Do you like salmon?? It's the only fish we really like around here... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually... no. If I had to choose between Tilapia and Salmon I would choose Tilapia (less fishy smell and taste) The texture of Tilapia is actually firmer making it more like meat where Salmon is dry to me and feels more like flaked tuna from a can without the tuna juice... either way fish is not my bag... =)

      Delete