Tuesday, May 1, 2012

April 30, 2012

Last Dinner of the month... what shall it be?

BLT Sandwich

It's a sandwich! No recipe required...

Picture:
Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Sandwich on French Bread with Pretzels and Fresh Pineapple

The Differences: Since there is no actual recipe there aren't any differences. What do you need? Bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise (or miracle whip in my case) and your bread of choice (I chose french bread). The nice part is that your sides can be whatever you want.

The Prep: The nice part is that while you fry up the bacon you can prepare everything else. So about 15 minutes to prepare everything.

The Cost Breakdown:
French Bread: $0.99
Lettuce: $0.99
Tomato: $0.68
Bacon: $6.99
Pretzels: $1.29
Pineapple: $1.50

not included was the mayonnaise (or miracle whip)

Total: $12.44 or $3.11 per person for a family of 4.

The Verdict: This is probably the best BLT I have ever had. Part of the reason is that in BLT's that I have bought from sandwich places the bacon is usually overcooked, the lettuce and tomato are usually wilted, and the bread is DRENCHED in mayonnaise. When you make things at home you have the ability to control the ingredients and make them what you want them to be. As far as I am concerned the french bread was an inspired choice. It was soft and crunchy at the same time and, man, did it taste good. The beginning of summer is the best time to have fresh pineapple! The meal was so easy, easy to put together, easy to eat. My husband liked the change to something cooler for dinner... 4 BIG thumbs up!

By the way... did you like the cost analysis yesterday? Did it make you think? Even a little? It made me think, about how much groceries cost nowadays, and how there are things that I can do to make it easier on my husband, on my family in general. I hope it helps you too... =) See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment