Wednesday, May 2, 2012

May 1, 2012

I will be completely honest... usually the first day of the month I INSIST that we eat out as a day off for me =) I did NOT do that last night! I am so proud of myself and I am glad I didn't give in to the temptation, LOL.

What WAS for dinner anyway? White BBQ Chicken (sounds yummy, right?)

Website Recipe: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=872600

Picture:
White BBQ Chicken with Steak Fries and Texas Ranch Beans

The Differences: Ok... here goes! I used 3 pounds of chicken instead of 3 breasts because I was making some chicken ahead for a meal later in the week (Doing stuff like that will have a tendency to save you money later on) but 3 breasts is what you need to feed 4 to 6 people. I used one cup of miracle whip (I prefer it to mayonnaise) compared to the 6 tablespoons of Mayonnaise. I used one teaspoon of salt versus the one tablespoon the recipe called for but the amount of pepper stayed the same. I used one cup of vinegar AND one cup of lemon juice, it fit the flavor profile AND would potentially increase the moistness of the chicken (which is a BIG deal when cooking white meat chicken). I left out the sugar... I don't think it was necessary AND using the sugar would negate the point of the tang of the lemon juice and vinegar... why have the tang and the sweetness when they cancel each other out? I also did not use the milk for that reason and the additional miracle whip would make the mix creamier without the milk. I did not mix the sauce in the blender HOWEVER I wish that I had it would have made the consistency better. Everything else was the same EXCEPT I cooked the chicken about 10 minutes longer than suggested and I didn't cover the chicken.

The Prep: Mixing up the sauce took about 5 minutes and another 5 to put the chicken and sauce together and get them into the oven. You might have to take the chicken out in order to cook the fries since the temperatures are WAY different, which is what I did. So 40 minutes to cook the chicken and 25 minutes for the fries. The beans can be heated during the cook time for the fries. So the total is One hour and 15 minutes from start to finish.

The Cost Breakdown:
2 pounds chicken breasts (the other pound that I cooked is for a different meal): $5.32
Steak Fries: $2.49
Beans: $1.99

not included in the cost of the meal was the miracle whip, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.

Total: $9.80 or $2.45 per person for a family of 4. Well the cook time wasn't quick but the price was certainly worth it!

The Verdict: The chicken was tangy, creamy, juicy, and extremely yummy! I greatly enjoyed it, as did Erik! The starchy fries were a great accompaniment. A note about the beans... the can of beans that I got (Bushs Grillin Beans Texas Ranch Style) were made with jalapenos... now knowing how my husband feels about spicy stuff I dumped in about a handful of brown sugar to cut MOST of the spicy. Now when I tasted them I didn't feel any spicy on my tongue... it was strange I felt like there should have been spicy, if you know what I mean, but there wasn't. However, apparently my palate is less sensitive than Erik's. He said that if I hadn't put the brown sugar in he wouldn't have been able to eat the beans at all. It was still spicy enough that he felt that he had to cut the spice by eating the beans with the starchy steak fries... he said the sauce was awesome on the potatoes. But the most pleasing part of the meal for him was definitely the chicken, he said he could have kept eating it all night long! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment