Friday, May 4, 2012

May 3, 2012

Dinner last night... Wild Rice Casserole

website: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1742,149177-239192,00.html

Picture:
Wild Rice Casserole and Green Beans

The Differences: I did not use mushrooms or onions (not my families preference), the chicken breasts that I used were the extra ones that I cooked a couple of days ago, I did not use flour, cream, or chicken broth... instead I used a can of cream of mushroom soup and a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. I did cook the rice according to the package directions, I did cook the sausage and set it aside, since I used chicken that I cooked a couple of days ago I didn't have to cook the breasts just cut them up. Then I combined the rice, sausage, chicken, soup, and Worcestershire sauce together, poured it into a baking dish and baked it at 350 for 30 minutes.

The Prep: 25 minutes to cook the rice and sausage and cut up the chicken, 5 minutes to combine everything and prepare the dish to go in the oven (this includes topping the casserole with Parmesan cheese) and 30 minutes to bake so a total of an hour to put this meal together.

The Cost Breakdown:
Wild Rice: $1.76
Sausage: $2.89
Chicken: $2.66
Cream of Mushroom Soup: $0.77
Green Beans: $0.99

not included in the cost of the meal: Worcestershire sauce, Parmesan cheese, and seasonings for the green beans.

Total: $9.07 or $2.27 per person for a family of four

The Verdict: OH MY GOODNESS!!! That casserole was so good! Now my mother-in-law and I make a wild rice casserole straight out of the Southern Living Cookbook and that is pretty good but this one is WAY better in my opinion. The sausage was a great addition to the wild rice, it wasn't overly creamy but there was a nice consistency to it in general. I just don't have any better words... its really good and I highly recommend it!!! Now Erik, the spicy wuss, felt that the sausage had a bite to it but other than that it was good. I told him that he was insane and a big wussy cause there was no spicy in this recipe... Men are weird, make it for yourself and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment