Thursday, May 10, 2012

May 9, 2012

Dinner last night: Slow Cooker Casserole

website: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1638,144184-254204,00.html

picture:
Slow Cooker Casserole with Dinner Rolls and butter

The differences: Ok, in the ingredients I used a can of green beans (undrained) and I added garlic, basil, and thyme to add some flavor. In the cooking instructions I chose to make the recipe a crock pot recipe rather than heating up the house by turning on the oven. The layering happens exactly the same and you would cook it for 6 to 8 hours on low.

The prep: It takes about 10 minutes to brown the ground beef and during that time you can peel and slice the potatoes and an additional five minutes to slice the onion. Five minutes to layer everything in the slow cooker (crock pot) and 6 to 8 hours to cook... So prep is about 15 to 20 minutes and cook time is 6 to 8 hours.

The Cost Breakdown:
Ground Beef: $5.22
Potatoes: $1.59
Cream of Mushroom Soup: $1.49
Dinner Rolls: $1.99
Butter: $2.99

I did not include the cost of an onion, the garlic, or spices, or the can of green beans since I had all of those things in my fridge and pantry.

Total: $13.28 or $3.32 per person for a family of four

The Verdict:  I really liked this meal. It was hearty and it tasted good. Erik, on the other hand, really didn't like it. He felt that the meat tasted overcooked and that all the flavors blended together in to one taste that he couldn't decide if he liked or not so he was ambiguous about it. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. Realistically not everyone is going to like everything I cook but I liked it and it was inexpensive and easy to put together so it gets a thumbs up from me. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment