Monday, April 23, 2012

April 22, 2012

A note about leftovers: All of the stuff that I made this past week had some leftovers and other than the pork chop (which I ate for lunch a couple of days ago) it was all still in the Fridge yesterday afternoon. What to do with all these leftovers? I opted for what I am calling Leftover Lunch. I got out all the leftovers, heated them all up, and put them all on the table... I fed four people with what was left and still had some left when we were done... it was awesome, I think I am going to make that the weekly way I deal with leftovers!

What was for dinner yesterday? Bacon Swiss Quiche

website: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/bacon-and-swiss-quiche/32e3413a-8f42-43b0-b0ad-5bd3c8b64216

Picture:
Bacon Swiss Quiche with fresh Spinach
The Differences: I used a refrigerated pie crust (already made) rather than make my own crust (which saves on time), I used green onions instead of regular onion (less oniony taste) and sauteed them in a little butter. I used 6 eggs instead of 4 and cut down on the heavy cream to 1 and a half cups instead of 2. To make up for the little bit of liquid I was shorting I added 1/2 a cup of apple juice (to thin it out so it wouldn't be so rich and also to have liquid with a touch of acid). I used an entire pound of bacon as well (mostly cause I love bacon). I mixed all of the ingredients together, except for the cheese, and poured them into the crust. I sprinkled the cheese over the top of the "pie" and baked it at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. I let it rest 10 minutes before slicing it.

The Cost Breakdown:
Pie Crust: $2.99
Green Onions: $0.77
Eggs: $2.09
Whipping Cream: $3.49
Apple Juice: $1.99
Bacon: $4.99
Swiss Cheese: $4.59
Spinach: $2.99

I did not include the olive oil, garlic, or butter as those are staples in most pantries.

The total was $23.90 or $5.98 per person for a family of four.

The Verdict: Oh my gosh this quiche was gooey and yummy! It was sooo good. The bacon and the onion were not overpowering, always a worry with those two flavorful ingredients. The crust held together wonderfully, it had a nice golden sheen across the top of the quiche and was a pleasure to eat. The husband was not as impressed but as he told me he grew up with quiche being an appetizer, something served at a party where you aren't really paying attention to what you put in your mouth as you are talking. As he said, quiches usually had spinach in them not served as a side dish.  I preferred the spinach as a side dish as I am not a huge spinach fan, that way I could eat as little or as much as I wanted (my portion was about half of the portion in the picture). This recipe is certainly one that could be made for a breakfast meeting, a brunch, or a homey Sunday morning breakfast. Two thumbs up from me, Erik's doesn't count! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment