Wednesday, April 25, 2012

April 24, 2012

Dinner last night: Teriyaki Pork Lo-Mein with Stir Fry Vegetables

website: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/teriyaki-pork-lo-mein-10000001912811/

Picture:
Teriyaki Pork Lo-Mein with Stir Fry Vegetables

The Differences: Instead of a fresh red bell pepper I opted to use a 12 oz bag of stir fry vegetables. Instead of the amount of teriyaki noodles the recipe suggests I used Two packages of Knorr Teriyaki noodles. Everything else was essentially the same.

The Prep: Oh my goodness this recipe was done in less than 20 minutes! Easily the fastest recipe I have done in three and a half weeks. This recipe is a one skillet wonder. Cook the pork in oil (4 minutes) remove it from the pan, throw in the frozen vegetables and the soy sauce and cook the vegetables about 3 minutes to just as they start to become tender. Throw in the water the noodles and the garlic, bring to a boil (3 minutes) and reduce heat and cover, cook for 7 minutes. Add pork back in, stir, and serve. So, 4 minutes for the pork, 3 minutes for the vegetables, 3 minutes to bring the noodles to and vegetables to a boil, and 7 minutes to cook the water out... 17 minutes total.

The Cost Breakdown: This just gets better and BETTER.

Pork: $5.07
Stir fry vegetables: $1.49
Teriyaki noodles: $3.58

not included is the oil, soy sauce, water, and garlic

Total: $10.14 or $2.54 per person for a family of four.
Can you go to a chinese food restaurant and feed FOUR people for less than $11? I don't think so!

The Verdict: I apologize for the picture, the food was still steaming and that interfered with the picture. It was yummy, it fulfilled my craving for chinese food craving and it was fast which was what I needed it to be cause I had somewhere I had to be. According to Erik it wasn't fantastic it was palatable. On par with what we consider normal eating (what I throw together when I don't have time to put a lot of thought into what dinner is going to be). This type of eating is what takes place at most dinner tables on an average weekday. I highly recommend it (cause I really liked it) and it was yums! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment