Saturday, April 14, 2012

Dinner April 12, 2012

I know I know I am late on the blog... the boys had their first dentist visit EVER yesterday and today my daughter decided to be less than healthy so it was understandable I promise, however on to the subject of today's blog:

Slow cooker Swiss Steak

the web address for the basic recipe:

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/slow-cooker-swiss-steak/01ba2fee-b547-4481-983f-43bc021e23b9/#

the picture:

Slow Cooker Swiss Steak with Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans

The differences between the basic recipe and what I did:

I actually used Sirloin Tip Steak instead of round steak; I added a tablespoon of minced garlic (mostly cause I am a garlic fiend and use it in most everything) Instead of Vegetable juice I used: Water, salt, pepper, a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, and a small can of tomato sauce. Instead of putting the crock pot results on top of a bed of egg noodles I used white rice instead.

The side dishes: I cooked two sweet potatoes in a baking dish at 400 degrees for an hour and 10 minutes and then I cut them up and took off as much of the skin as I could. I topped them with butter and brown sugar and stuck them in the microwave just long enough to melt the butter. I used frozen green beans and cooked them in butter and water adding seasonings at the end before serving.

The verdict:

My husband actually seems to have a bias for most everything cooked in a crockpot, I don't know why, but he didn't really like the swiss steak. He felt like it was overcooked. As he doesn't care for sweet potatoes he was less than impressed with those as well. As he said, he liked the rice and green beans and the sweet potatoes were good, for sweet potatoes. Ignore him, he's crazy and doesn't know what he is talking about! The meat was well done, but tender, and the fire roasted tomatoes gave the stew just the kick it needed to keep it from being bland and forgettable. I LOVED the sweet potatoes, they were sweet, they were buttery, and I could have ate them all night long (by the way, I dislike Sweet potatoes but I figured you had already figured it out cause the thing I like the most in the meal is usually the ingredient I like the least... weird) and the green beans were an excellent accompaniment to both. Sooo two thumbs up from me and 1/2 a thumb up from the hubby.  Its strange my mother always tells me how picky I was as a child but I am the least picky person in my house... whoda thunk it?

No comments:

Post a Comment