Friday, April 27, 2012

April 26, 2012

I apologize for the lateness of my blogging today. Jeremiah had a dentist appointment today where he had to be sedated and I had to keep him quiet for as much of today as possible. If you know my son then you know what a difficult proposition that is in general.

What was for dinner last night you ask? Rio Rancho Taco Night

website: http://www.food.com/recipe/rio-rancho-taco-meat-431617

Picture:
Rio Rancho Tacos with Black Beans and cheese

No differences today between what the recipe says and what I made.

The Prep: Since the recipe came from "Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer" the recipe tells you how to do the recipe in advance. If you are making it to eat just don't freeze it =). It takes 2 minutes to mince the onions, 5 minutes to brown the beef and cook the onion, 5 minutes to add in all the other ingredients, 30 minutes to simmer. So prep should take about 45 minutes or thereabouts.

The Cost Breakdown:
Ground Beef: $5.07
Onion: $0.66
Salsa: $1.99
Taco Seasoning: $0.59
Green Chilies: $0.99
Cheese: $2.00
Sour Cream: $1.39
Taco Shells: $1.29
Shredded Lettuce: $1.79
Black Beans: $0.99

Items not included in price of meal: brown sugar, garlic powder, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and water.

Total: $16.76 or $4.19 per person for a family of four

The Verdict: It was a fast meal to put together (I should know I did it at 7:30 PM and dinner was on the table at 8 PM, a bit later than we would normally eat). I thought it was very good. The meat had a sweetness to it, I am assuming from the brown sugar, with a nice punch of heat in the back of my throat at the end. In truth the tacos were a bit on the spicy side. My husband, the wuss, said that it tasted good but they were a bit too spicy for his tastes. For my friends who like spicy to the extreme, and you know who you are, this won't quite be spicy enough for you but it will get you close =). It was yummy, it was fast, it was inexpensive and it gets two thumbs up from me! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment